What Happens If You Eat Moldy Bread


Hello everyone. What to do with bread once you notice mold
on it is a common household dilemma. You want to be safe but not needlessly wasteful. You may wonder whether the fuzzy spots of
mold are safe to eat, can simply be scraped off, or whether the rest of the loaf is safe
to eat if it doesn’t have visible mold. Keep watching this video to find out more
if it is safe to eat moldy bread. Mold is a fungus in the same family as mushrooms. Fungi survive by breaking down and absorbing
the nutrients of the material on which they grow, such as bread. The fuzzy parts of mold you see on bread are
colonies of spores, which is how the fungus reproduces. Spores can travel through the air inside the
package and grow on other parts of the bread. In fact, they’re what gives mold its color. White, yellow, green, gray, or black, depending
on the type of fungus. However, you can’t identify the type of mold
by color alone, as the color of the spots may change under different growing conditions
and can fluctuate during the lifecycle of the fungus. Types of mold that grow on bread include Aspergillus,
Penicillium, Fusarium, Mucor, and Rhizopus. What’s more, there are many different species
of each of these types of fungus on bread, and whether it’s safe to eat moldy bread. Some mold is safe to consume, such as the
types purposely used to make blue cheese. However, the fungi that can grow on bread
give it an off-flavor and may be harmful to your health. It’s impossible to know what kind of mold
is growing on your bread just by looking at it, so it’s best to assume it’s harmful and
not eat it. Additionally, avoid smelling moldy bread,
as you may inhale spores from the fungus. If you have an allergy to mold, inhaling it
could lead to breathing problems, including asthma. Those with allergies to inhaled mold may also
experience harmful reactions, including life-threatening anaphylaxis, if eating it in food. Still, this appears to be uncommon. Lastly, people with weak immune systems, such
as from poorly controlled diabetes are vulnerable to infection from inhaling Rhizopus on bread. Though uncommon, this infection is potentially
life-threatening. The Food Safety and Inspection Service of
the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) advises discarding the entire loaf
of bread if it has developed mold. Though you may only see a few spots of the
fungus, its microscopic roots can spread quickly through porous bread. Therefore, don’t try to scrape off mold or
salvage the rest of your loaf. Some mold can produce harmful and invisible
poisons called mycotoxins. These may spread through bread, particularly
when mold growth is heavy. High intake of mycotoxins may cause digestive
upset or other illness. These toxins can also sicken animals, so don’t
feed contaminated bread to your pets. Furthermore, mycotoxins may negatively affect
your intestinal health, possibly by altering the makeup of the microbes that inhabit your
gut. Additionally, long-term, heavy exposure to
some mycotoxins, including aflatoxin produced by certain species of Aspergillus, has been
linked to increased cancer risk. Without preservatives, the shelf-life of bread
stored at room temperature is generally three to four days. Preservatives and other ingredients, as well
as certain methods of handling and storing bread, may deter mold growth. Mass-produced bread from the supermarket typically
contains chemical preservatives, including calcium propionate and sorbic acid, which
deter the growth of mold. Still, a growing number of people prefer bread
with cleaner ingredients, meaning bread made with no chemical preservatives. An alternative is to use lactic acid bacteria,
which produce acids that naturally deter mold growth. Currently, these are most commonly used in
sourdough bread. Vinegar and certain spices, such as cinnamon
and cloves, may also deter mold growth. However, the spices may alter the flavor and
aroma of bread, so their use for this purpose is limited. Common mold spores generally can’t survive
baking, but bread can easily pick up spores from the air after baking, for example, during
slicing and packaging. These spores can start to grow under the right
conditions, such as in a warm and humid kitchen. Gluten-free bread is more vulnerable to mold
growth, as it typically has a higher moisture content and limited use of chemical preservatives. For this reason, it’s often sold frozen .
Some bread is protected with special packaging instead of preservatives. For example, vacuum-sealing removes oxygen,
which is needed for mold growth. Still, this bread is prone to contamination
after you open the package As the conclusin, you shouldn’t eat mold on
bread or from a loaf with visible spots. The mold roots can quickly spread through
bread, though you can’t see them. Eating moldy bread could make you sick, and
inhaling spores may trigger breathing problems if you have a mold allergy. Try freezing bread to prevent mold.

3 Replies to “What Happens If You Eat Moldy Bread”

  1. If you are single and/or don't go through bread very quickly, immediately freeze half of the bread after purchase. This will save you money in the long run.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *